Feature Columns 107 results
  • LET’S DISH by MaryAnn Miano

    Summertime without grilling corn on the cob is unimaginable.  Were it not for the indigenous peoples in the Americas cultivating these pearls of gold, correctly called maize, no one would have discovered corn in its present form growing in the wild.  Archaeologists who have studied corn can only find a history of cultivated grains going back in the Americas to approximately 9,000 years.  Botanists studying the ancestry of corn during the early part of the 20th century discovered that maize ...
  • ENTERTAINMENT CORNER by Laura Kolnoski

    Maybe they should change their name to Monmouth Pops. Sitting in the aesthetically pleasing barn at Thompson Park in Lincroft one evening last month, this thought wafted through my head along with some wonderfully enjoyable music. My next thought was: If more people knew how great the Colts Neck Community Band is, this concert would be standing room only. Additionally, all performances of the Colts Neck Community Band (CNCB), now in its 11th season, are free. This masterful band of all-stars ...
  • BUSINESS MATTERS by Glen J. Dalakian, Sr.

    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."                                                                                                                 --Albert Schweitzer  Happiness is Key to Success! How many people do we know that have spent much of their life striving for what they thought ...
  • WORKING CLASS – FROM JOB SEEKER TO MONEY MAKER by Marjorie Kavanagh

    If I told you there was a place where, according to Job Vite, 93% of employers sourced job candidates, and that this was the same place from which they hired 89% of their employees, would you want know where it is?  Sure you would! It’s www.Linkedin.com (LI), a professional social media networking site with over 225 million members in over 200 countries. The Wall Street Journal reports just 20% of jobs openings are represented through online job boards and the other 80% are filled through ...
  • JULY SPECIAL EVENTS

    July 4 23rd Annual Oceanfest July 4th Celebration – 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on the Promenade in Long Branch.  The free, family-friendly festival runs rain or shine along the half-mile stretch of oceanfront Promenade between Seven Presidents Park and the Ocean Place Resort & Spa. The evening ends with a spectacular fireworks display over the ocean, with music simulcast by 95.9 the WRAT starting at 9:00 pm. This year, Oceanfest will host the New Jersey Hall of Fame traveling exhibit, a ...